The edibles in Los Angeles dispensaries are some of the best in the market today. You’ll find a wide array of gummies, cookies, brownies, and lozenges to coat your throat with. But if you’ve been a lover of the magic herb for a long time, you know that edibles are a different animal. Even Snoop Dogg, a kingpin of the ganja game, avoids them like the plague because “they ain’t got no off button.” Now, ingesting weed doesn’t always have to be traumatizing. The key to a memorable edible experience: proper dosing. This one’s especially for all of you who are diving into it for the first time, so you may want to keep this article bookmarked for future reference.
The Dosing Chart
Not all human bodies are created equal. Some can handle edibles like they’re riding a bike. Others, not so much. But there are ballpark figures for the amount of THC in edibles and its corresponding effects.
To give us a better idea, here’s a dosing chart courtesy of our friends over at Leafly. Here, we have the THC amount in milligrams and the perceived effects.
- 1-2.5 mg: You’ll likely experience mild pain and anxiety relief and better focus. The perfect amount for beginners and microdoses.
- 2.5-15 mg: From this, you’ll feel distinct feelings of euphoria. But this is also when certain impairments in coordination and perception begin to kick in. If you’re looking to swim at the slightly deeper end of the pool where the water’s about chest deep, this is the dose for you.
- 30-50 mg: If you’ve ingested this amount of edibles, you should think twice about operating heavy machinery afterward. Doses within this range may cause significant impairment. Recommended only for THC consumers with higher tolerance, but if you don’t, proceed with utmost caution.
- 50-100 mg: Those who dare to go this deep are cut from a different cloth. Apart from the usual serious impairments, you may also experience increased heart rate and some symptoms of nausea. Apart from pro-level THC consumers, those who take these larger doses do so to deal with serious illnesses like inflammatory disorders and cancer.
Frequently Asked Questions
At this point, there are probably some lingering questions in your mind. Here are the usual queries people throw.
How long does it take before you feel the effects of edibles? How long does it take before it wears off?
You’ll start feeling its effects within the first half-hour or full hour after ingestion. That’s triple the amount of time compared to smokables.
Why does it take so long to kick in?
It’s all due to what’s called the first-pass effect. Since THC was ingested, it first goes through the liver where it gets thoroughly broken down. As a result, the psychotropic effects are reduced and ultimately delayed.
Once it reaches the bloodstream and gets circulated throughout the body, only then will you feel its kick. The amount of time will depend on each person and how fast their metabolism is.
What happens if you eat CBD edibles?
Cannabidiol (a.k.a CBD), as we all know, is the non-psychotropic cousin of THC. And since it won’t get you high, you’ll feel more of its perceived positive effects like lesser anxiety and an uplifted mood. Higher doses, however, may bring unwanted side effects like fatigue.
The good news is CBD can help balance out the high that THC edibles bring. For this, you’d want to go with products with an even CBD: THC ratio of 1:1.
Tips For Consuming Edibles
You now have an idea of how to properly consume edibles, based on their doses. But we’re not stopping there. Here are more tips for a worthwhile edible experience.
- Start low and slow. You need to crawl before you walk, run, and do cartwheels.
- NEVER take another bite off an edible if you don’t feel its effects at the onset. Give it at least two hours before going for seconds.
- Be sure you’re in a safe space with people you’re comfortable with. Treat it like it’s your very first encounter with the devil’s lettuce.
Your Trusted Source For Grade A Edibles in Los Angeles
Save yourself from all the trouble of scouring Los Angeles for a reliable dispensary for your edible needs. You can find them all here at Roots Los Angeles. From rootbeer lozenges to vegan chocolate chip cookies, we’ve got it all for you.